Recycle Ann Arbor’s ReUse Center first opened in 1996 as a grassroots effort to extend the lifecycle of perfectly good products being thrown away. Since then, the ReUse Center has successfully diverted hundreds of thousands of donated products from ending up in the landfill, from furniture and small appliances to dishes, books, lamps, bikes, and more. Instead of landing in the area landfill and potentially off-gassing hazardous air emissions or leaching into the groundwater, these reusable goods were put to good use by a second, third, or even fourth owner.
In addition to its environmental benefits, the ReUse Center has aided the Ann Arbor Community by offering reasonable priced, affordable goods for the financially conscientious. It’s also been a great place to volunteer for the community’s students, activists, retirees, and those fulfilling community service requirements.
To commemorate the ReUse Center, Recycle Ann Arbor is hosting a 20th-anniversary celebration this April.
ReUse Center 20th Anniversary Celebration
A zero waste event
When: Saturday, April 23rd, from 10 am to 4 pm.
Where: The ReUse Center 2420 S. Industrial Hwy, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Parking: Once the ReUse Center parking lot is full, overflow parking will be next door.
Schedule of the Day:
- Community Swap Shop: 10 am to 4 pm: Attendees are invited to bring toys and clothes to share and swap all for free. All items left at the end of the day will be donated to House By the Side of the Road.
- Roos Roast: 10 am to 4 pm: Our neighbors, Roos Roast, will be at the event selling their locally roasted coffee and small bites.
- Shimmy Shack: 10 am to 4 pm: For local vegetarian fare sold out of a food truck, shimmy shack is the best in town.
- Touch-a-Recycling-Truck: 10 am to 12 pm: Children will get to experience sitting at the driver seat of a real recycling truck.
- Pet Packaging Testing for Toxic Chemicals: 10 am to 4 pm: The Ecology Center, will be collecting pet packaging samples for their upcoming study on toxic chemicals hiding in pet food packaging. Attendees can bring empty, relatively clean pet packaging to the event and the results of the study will be shared with participants at a later date.
- Repurposed Kids’ Craft with the Scrapbox: 12 pm to 1 pm: Children will get the chance to make bugs out of reusable scrap materials collected by our friends at the Scrapbox.
- Pleasant Lake Hardwood Chair Building Demo: 1 pm to 2 pm: Attendees will watch a simple demonstration by Pleasant Lake Hardwoods on how to build an adirondack chair. Kits will be available for purchase from Urbanwood.
- Tervol’s Wood Sawmill Demo: 2 pm to 4 pm: Watch Tervol’s Wood Products will bring their portable sawmill for a demonstration and provide an opportunity to meet a local sawyer and learn about urban lumber.